• Injured at Work? What Now?

    If you have been injured in a workplace accident, here are several important steps you must take to get compensation for your injuries and lost wages.

    Learn More Request Free Consultation
  • Trouble With Your Workers Comp Claim?

    If you have questions about your claim or if your worker's compensation claim has been denied our attorneys can help.

    Learn More Request Free Consultation
  • What's Your Claim Worth?

    Not all work injuries claims are the same, some are worth more than others. We can help get you the most out of your claim.

    Learn More Request Free Consultation
  • Do You Need an Attorney?

    Not sure if you need an attorney? Call us today and speak with an attorney for free. We can help answer your questions and get you on the right track.

    Learn More Request Free Consultation

Drugs and alcohol don’t mix at work

A prospective client was under the influence of alcohol when on-the-job accident happened.  He wanted to know if he  still could recover workers’ compensation?

The answer  is most likely, no.  There can be no recovery if the worker is intoxicated or under the influence of controlled substances and if that intoxication caused the injuries.  If you misstepped or used poor judgment with machinery, intoxication would be the cause and you would not get benefits.  However, if you are under the influence of alcohol and are a passenger in a vehicle and another vehicle hits you, you could get workers’ compensation benefits.  It would be compensable because being under the influence was not the cause of the accident.

Either way… all the more reason to not drink at work.  There is a time and a place for everything

About the Author:

The Injured Workers Law Firm is a Richmond, Virginia based firm solely focused on serving clients with workers' compensation claims in Virginia. If you have questions about your benefits or if you would like more information on the Virginia Workers’ Compensation system, order our book, “The Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia” , or call our office today (804) 755-7755.