How do I change my doctor after I receive workers’ compensation?

If you are hurt on the job, your employer is required to give you a list of three approved doctors from whom you may seek treatment. Once you have chosen one of the three, you are required to continue seeing them in order to receive your workers’ compensation benefits.

If you would like to change your doctor, it must be approved by your employer or insurance carrier before you make such a change and seek treatment with the new doctor. If your employer or insurer does not approve the change, you may petition the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission, who may approve the change.

The Commission may approve the change if you can prove that: 

  • your condition requires a specialist;
  • you are receiving inadequate treatment;
  • your health is not improving or unconventional treatments used by the original doctor are not working;
  • your doctor is not cooperating with orders given by the Commission; and
  • there is no treatment plan for any long-term disabilities from which you may be suffering.

If you are planning to change the treating doctor in your workers’ compensation case, it is best to contact a work injury lawyer in Richmond, VA to ensure you are taking the appropriate legal steps and that you have the proper evidence and proof ready for a Commission hearing, if such a hearing is required.

Were you or someone you love injured on the job? Call the Injured Workers Law Firm at 804-755-7755 or 877-755-7744 to speak with a work injury lawyer in Richmond, VA to learn more about workers’ compensation and for help changing your treating doctor.


About the Author:

The Injured Workers Law Firm is a Richmond, Virginia based firm solely focused on serving clients with workers' compensation claims in Virginia. If you have questions about your benefits or if you would like more information on the Virginia Workers’ Compensation system, order our book, “The Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia” , or call our office today (804) 755-7755.