I don’t like the workers’ compensation doctor. Can I choose a different doctor?

No.  If you choose a different doctor or choose to stop seeing the workers’ compensation treating physician, then your benefits may be terminated or suspended for unjustifiable refusal of medical treatment.    In Virginia, once an authorized treating physician has been established, that is the only doctor the insurance carrier has to pay.  If you seek treatment with a non‑authorized treating physician, you will be responsible for paying for that treatment.  There are ways to get a new treating physician but it is difficult and best to discuss strategy with your attorney.


About the Author:

The Injured Workers Law Firm is a Richmond, Virginia based firm solely focused on serving clients with workers' compensation claims in Virginia. If you have questions about your benefits or if you would like more information on the Virginia Workers’ Compensation system, order our book, “The Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia” , or call our office today (804) 755-7755.