When you’re on the job or before you start a new position, you should always be on the lookout for signs of workman’s comp fraud in the workplace. If you believe your employer isn’t following the law you should report workman’s comp fraud and get help from a Richmond Workers’ Compensation attorney to make sure you receive the proper benefits after a work injury in Virginia. There are a few tell-tale signs that may indicate your workplace is committing workman’s comp fraud.
10 Signs of Employer Workman’s Comp Fraud
If any of the following is happening in your workplace, contact an attorney:
- you’re paid in cash “under the table;”
- you’re paid in benefits such as free rent or free merchandise instead of a proper paycheck;
- the hours you worked are underreported or not documented;
- payroll records are incomplete or missing;
- employees who don’t exercise control of the business are listed as “corporate officers;”
- the business is operating without proper licenses or registrations;
- an employer tells an injured employee they’ll pay the medical bills for them rather than report them to the insurance company;
- your boss hires several family members as employees;
- your manager underreports the number of employees; and
- workers are issued a 1099 Tax form instead of a standard W-2.
Don’t be too intimidated to report workman’s comp fraud. You’re entitled to certain protection and benefits in the workplace and if your employer is denying you these rights after a work injury in Virginia, you should speak with a Richmond Workers’ Compensation attorney.
Contact an Attorney about Your Work-related Injury Claim
When you have difficulties with your work-related injury claim, a Virginia workers comp attorney can bear some of the burden you’ve been placed under. To get back on your feet, whether it means getting back to work or getting the benefits you deserve, order a copy of our free book, the Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia, and contact a workers’ comp attorney at the Injured Workers Law Firm for a no-cost consultation – 877-755-7744 or 804-755-7755.
About the Author: Injured Workers Law Firm
The Injured Workers Law Firm is a Richmond, Virginia based firm solely focused on serving clients with workers' compensation claims in Virginia. If you have questions about your benefits or if you would like more information on the Virginia Workers’ Compensation system, order our book, “The Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia” , or call our office today (804) 755-7755.