At Injured Workers’ Law Firm, our Hampton Roads workers’ compensation attorneys are driven by our passion for client service. We advocate for the rights and interests of workers and their families—not employers or the insurance company. If you are preparing to file an initial workers’ comp claim or a workers’ comp appeal, our team is here to help. For a private case evaluation with a rated workers’ comp lawyer in Hampton Roads, please contact our law firm today.
What to Know About Workers’ Compensation in Virginia
Under Commonwealth law (The Virginia Workers’ Compensation Act), all businesses or nonprofit organizations that regularly employ three or more part-time or full-time employees are required to carry workers’ comp insurance coverage. If you are hurt on the job, a workers’ comp claim is generally your sole remedy against your employer. Here is an overview of Virginia workers’ compensation laws:
- Strict Reporting Requirement: Employees have a responsibility to notify their employer that an accident has occurred without unreasonable delay. Tell your supervisor immediately. If you wait more than 30 days to report an accident, it could undermine your ability to recover financial benefits.
- No Fault Standard: In a personal injury lawsuit, you must prove that the defendant is “at fault” to hold them liable for your accident. In contrast, Virginia workers’ comp claims are no-fault claims. You are not required to prove your employer caused your injuries.
- Medical Coverage and Financial Benefits: Workers’ comp covers all medical expenses related to your on-the-job injury, including rehabilitative care. Additionally, benefits are available to cover the wages you lost. For a more serious injury, you may be entitled to more financial support.
- Ability to Appeal: Workers’ comp claims are delayed, underpaid, and even denied. Do not accept an unfair decision without a fight. If your claim was denied, contact our Hampton Roads workers’ comp appeal attorneys for immediate assistance.
How Our Hampton Roads Workers’ Comp Lawyers Can Help
Filing a workers’ comp claim in Virginia can be stressful and confusing. At Injured Workers’ Law Firm, we are here to bring clarity to the process. Our founding attorney Michele Lewane has more than 30 years of trial experience representing injured workers. When you call our firm, you will be able to speak directly to a Hampton Roads workers’ comp attorney who can:
- Comprehensively review your case, answer your questions, and explain the next steps;
- Gather evidence & information and handle the workers; comp paperwork; and
- Proactively address and resolve any issues that might arise in the claims process.
We have made a commitment to worker education. Our Hampton Roads workers’ comp attorneys want to make sure that you know how to protect yourself and your family. If you want more information about the process, please get your free copy of our e-book: The Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia.
Contact Our Hampton Roads Workers’ Comp Attorneys Today
At Injured Workers’ Law Firm, our Hampton Roads work injury lawyers have extensive experience handling the full spectrum of workers’ comp cases. If you have questions about your rights, we are ready to help. Contact us at (804) 755-7755 for a completely confidential review and evaluation of your legal case. We serve the entire Hampton Roads region, including in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Newport News, and Portsmouth.