• Injured at Work? What Now?

    If you have been injured in a workplace accident, here are several important steps you must take to get compensation for your injuries and lost wages.

    Learn More Request Free Consultation
  • Trouble With Your Workers Comp Claim?

    If you have questions about your claim or if your worker's compensation claim has been denied our attorneys can help.

    Learn More Request Free Consultation
  • What's Your Claim Worth?

    Not all work injuries claims are the same, some are worth more than others. We can help get you the most out of your claim.

    Learn More Request Free Consultation
  • Do You Need an Attorney?

    Not sure if you need an attorney? Call us today and speak with an attorney for free. We can help answer your questions and get you on the right track.

    Learn More Request Free Consultation

Can you sue a company after suffering work related injury after 2 years has passed since the incident happen?

If  you are an employee, your only recourse is workers’ compensation. In Virginia, you must file a claim for benefits within 2 years from the date of accident or you are barred. There are exceptions, so you should talk to a Workers’ compensation attorney to find out if any may apply in your case.

Also, in Virginia, you can sue any “third” party whose negligence caused your injury such as the use of defective equipment or a vendor or client who is the cause of the injury. However, in Virginia, you have 2 years from the date of the accident to file a 3rd party claim. Also, Workers compensation insurance company has a lien on any personal injury judgments or settlements.


About the Author:

The Injured Workers Law Firm is a Richmond, Virginia based firm solely focused on serving clients with workers' compensation claims in Virginia. If you have questions about your benefits or if you would like more information on the Virginia Workers’ Compensation system, order our book, “The Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia” , or call our office today (804) 755-7755.