A: You should immediately notify your supervisor about the accident. Even if you do not think you need medical attention, you should still report your injury. Next, you should file a workers’ compensation claim with the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission. You can get a copy of the form on this website.

After you have reported your injury to your employer, your employer should offer you a list of doctors where you can seek medical treatment. You will need to treat with one of the doctors on that list in order to have your medical treatment covered. You will then need to take any paperwork from that medical appointment back to your employer.

It is important that you understand the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Act and Rules of the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission when filing a workers’ compensation claim. The injured worker must prove and provide everything. The employer has no obligation to help you prove to the workers’ compensation insurance carrier that you were hurt at work.