Good vs. Bad Nurse Case Managers for Virginia Work Injuries
There’s a good chance that a Nurse Case Manager may be assigned to you after you suffer serious workplace injuries in Virginia. To ensure that your legal rights are protected, you should have a Workers’ Compensation attorney with a background in Virginia disability law review your case.
How to spot when you have a good, or bad, Nurse Case Manager on your case:
A Good Nurse Case Manager will do things like:
- Advocate to get your doctor’s recommended testing and procedures approved quickly
- Help to coordinate care and appointments if you are being treated by several different doctors
- Communicate the doctor’s requested treatment, work status, and follow up information to the insurance company or adjuster
- When appropriate, help to coordinate transportation to and from approved medical appointments
When a Nurse Case Manager is not advocating for your best interest, they may do things like:
- Pressure your workers comp doctor to return you to work
- Suggest treatments to your doctor that are less expensive than their initial treatment plan
- Change or reschedule your doctor’s appointments without your consent or knowledge
- Speak to your workers comp doctor outside of your presence in an effort to convince them to change your restrictions, release you back to work, change the suggested course of medical care or lower your disability rating
- Tell the insurance company to deny the doctor’s suggested treatment that they don’t feel is necessary
- Switch your workers compensation doctor without telling you
Worker’s Comp is supposed to be in your favor when you suffer legitimate workplace injuries. However, a nurse case manager who isn’t looking out for your best interests can make the process very difficult and frustrating.
If you have any concerns about a nurse case manager, you should schedule a meeting with a Virginia Workers’ Compensation attorney. In fact, you should consult with an attorney soon after suffering any serious workplace injuries.
About the Author: Michele Lewane
The Injured Workers Law Firm is a Richmond, Virginia based firm solely focused on serving clients with workers' compensation claims in Virginia. If you have questions about your benefits or if you would like more information on the Virginia workers’ compensation system, order our book, “The Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia” , or call our office today (804) 755-7755.