Whether you were injured in a job-related car accident in Virginia, by slipping and falling at the office, or by being exposed to bacteria in a hospital, you should seek out a law helpline and consult with Richmond attorneys who have experience handling Workers’ Comp cases. With an attorney on your side, you may be able to maximize the value of your Workers’ Comp claim.
If you’ve never been in a position in which you need to hire an attorney, you may be a bit apprehensive. To ease your jitters, you should consider the benefits and costs of hiring an attorney.
Benefits and Costs of Hiring Richmond Attorneys for a Workers’ Comp Case
When you have an attorney who you trust to keep your best interests in mind, you can have peace of mind that you’ll be guided toward maximum benefits. The cost of legal representation varies according to the case. However, most Richmond attorneys charge a contingency fee. This means the attorney’s fee is based on how well he or she resolves your case.
It’s typical for an attorney to charge a 20% contingency fee, which means 20% of the settlement will go to the attorney. With this kind of arrangement, the attorney knows that he or she won’t get paid if your case is denied, and you won’t have to pay any upfront fees.
Without a contingency fee, many workers would be out of luck if they were injured while held up behind a bank counter or while making deliveries in a car accident. In Virginia, know that you can always call the law helpline to discuss contingency fees in greater detail.
The major benefit of having an attorney is knowing you have someone on your side who thoroughly understands Virginia Workers’ Comp lawand is able to fight for you to receive all benefits that you’re entitled to.
Finding Experienced Workers’ Comp Attorneys in Virginia
If your workplace injuries are relatively minor, you may be better off handling your claim on your own. However, you should look for an attorney now if you suffer serious burns after being exposed to chemicals, broken bones after falling from heights, or organ damage in a work-related car accident. In Virginia, you can get started by calling the law helpline. You can also:
- Get a referral from an attorney you know – If you’ve ever used an attorney for a foreclosure or child custody issues, he or she may be able to recommend a Workers’ Comp attorney.
- Get a recommendation from a friend or family member who has used a Workers’ Comp attorney – If someone you trust recommends an attorney who specializes in Workers’ Comp cases, it might not be a bad idea to check them out. On the other hand, if your deadbeat in-law recommends a DUI attorney, you should say, “Thanks, but no thanks.”
- Check out Internet rating sites – 2 sites in particular are Avvo.com and Nolo.com.
- Make sure your lawyer is a specialist – Although there’s no specific specialization process for attorneys in Virginia, you should make sure that the attorney you choose has years of experience handling Workers’ Comp cases.
- Do some research – Most attorneys have a law helpline that you can find on the Internet. Call and ask for any articles, books, CDs or DVDS about the law firm. Peruse this information to get a good feel for the attorney.
It’s imperative that you hire an attorney who you feel comfortable with. You should interview several potential Richmond attorneys and ask many questions to determine whether you think your best interests will be kept in mind. Then hire the attorney who best speaks to your interests.
Whether you’re a taxi driver recuperating from a serious car accident in Virginia or a nurse who suffered an accidental infected needle stick, you should have a legal advocate protecting your rights
Contact Richmond Attorneys about Your Work Related Injury Claim
When you have difficulties with your work-related injury claim, a Virginia workers’ comp lawyer can bear some of the burden you’ve been placed under. To get back on your feet, whether it means getting back to work or getting the benefits you deserve, order a copy of our free book, the Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia, and contact a workers’ comp attorney at the Injured Workers Law Firm for a no-cost consultation – 1-877-755-7744 or 1-804-755-7755.
About the Author: Injured Workers Law Firm
The Injured Workers Law Firm is a Richmond, Virginia based firm solely focused on serving clients with workers' compensation claims in Virginia. If you have questions about your benefits or if you would like more information on the Virginia Workers’ Compensation system, order our book, “The Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia” , or call our office today (804) 755-7755.