• Injured at Work? What Now?

    If you have been injured in a workplace accident, here are several important steps you must take to get compensation for your injuries and lost wages.

    Learn More Request Free Consultation
  • Trouble With Your Workers Comp Claim?

    If you have questions about your claim or if your worker's compensation claim has been denied our attorneys can help.

    Learn More Request Free Consultation
  • What's Your Claim Worth?

    Not all work injuries claims are the same, some are worth more than others. We can help get you the most out of your claim.

    Learn More Request Free Consultation
  • Do You Need an Attorney?

    Not sure if you need an attorney? Call us today and speak with an attorney for free. We can help answer your questions and get you on the right track.

    Learn More Request Free Consultation

Montrose Workers’ Compensation Attorney Explains When a Work Injury is Covered Under FMLA

scales and gavelNeed workers rights information? A Montrose Workers’ Compensation attorney at the Injured Workers Law Firm can help if you were injured at work. Such laws may be confusing; securing legal counsel is often helpful when working through the process.

Your employer may be requiring you to take leave under the Federal Medical Leave Act (FMLA) while receiving Workers’ Comp benefits. In order to do this, it must be considered a serious injury.

Qualifications are rather broad and include any mental or physical condition, injury, illness, or impairment that requires hospitalization or inpatient medical care. If you are receiving continuous treatment with a healthcare provider, you may also qualify.

FMLA work leave may be granted regardless of whether the injury was work-related. If the injury was indeed work-related, Workers’ Comp benefits may be available in addition to taking time off to recover under FMLA.

However, if the leave related to Workers’ Comp is not taken as FMLA leave, it will not be counted against the 12 weeks the worker has available under FMLA. Therefore, the worker may still have 12 weeks available for leave once they are through with Workers’ Compensation.

Although there are differences between Workers’ Comp and the Family Medical Leave Act, they may still overlap. To better understand your rights, contact an attorney who handles these types of claims.

Contact a Montrose Worker’s Compensation Attorney about Your Claim

The process of filing for Workers’ Comp benefits can be complicated. Contacting an attorney who understands the laws and your rights can provide the protection you need. They can also help you assemble any evidence necessary to prove that your injury or illness is work-related.

Seek consultation with the Injured Workers Law Firm for help with your claim. In addition, you may order a copy of our free book, The Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia. Call our law office today to set up an appointment – 877-755-7744 or 804-755-7755.


About the Author:

The Injured Workers Law Firm is a Richmond, Virginia based firm solely focused on serving clients with workers' compensation claims in Virginia. If you have questions about your benefits or if you would like more information on the Virginia Workers’ Compensation system, order our book, “The Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia” , or call our office today (804) 755-7755.