• Injured at Work? What Now?

    If you have been injured in a workplace accident, here are several important steps you must take to get compensation for your injuries and lost wages.

    Learn More Request Free Consultation
  • Trouble With Your Workers Comp Claim?

    If you have questions about your claim or if your worker's compensation claim has been denied our attorneys can help.

    Learn More Request Free Consultation
  • What's Your Claim Worth?

    Not all work injuries claims are the same, some are worth more than others. We can help get you the most out of your claim.

    Learn More Request Free Consultation
  • Do You Need an Attorney?

    Not sure if you need an attorney? Call us today and speak with an attorney for free. We can help answer your questions and get you on the right track.

    Learn More Request Free Consultation

Obtaining a Disability Rating for Loss of Use of Body Part Claims in Virginia

After suffering an injury that results in the complete or partial permanent loss of use of a body part, injured workers in Virginia have the right to what’s known as permanent partial disability benefits. These benefits are calculated based upon the workers’ previous weekly income, the injured body part, and the disability rating they receive from their doctor.

Obtaining a disability rating is necessary if you’re seeking to collect your rightful Virginia Workers’ Compensation benefits when you’ve lost the use of a body part due to a work-related injury. Before you seek this rating, your treating physician must have determined that you’ve reached maximum medical improvement, which means your loss of use of that body part isn’t expected to improve with further treatment or time.

If you’ve reached the stage where your doctor considers your condition to be permanent, he or she most will likely refer you to a physical therapist to undergo a Functional Capacity Evaluation (FCE). The results of the therapist’s evaluation of your ability to use that body part will be reported to your physician. The doctor then will issue a disability rating, expressed as a percentage, for that body part.

If the insurance company approves, the disability rating will be used with your other information to calculate the amount of compensation you’re entitled to. In some cases, injured workers may find difficulty obtaining Virginia Workers’ Compensation benefits for their claim of loss of use of a body part. In these circumstances, an injured worker’’ lawyer may be able to help.

An Injured Workers’ Lawyer in Virginia helps Workers’ Compensation Cases 

Injured workers who suffer loss of use of a body part can find help filing a Virginia Workers’ Compensation claim from an injured workers’ lawyer. To learn more about how Workers’ Compensation works, or to learn about your rights to compensation, order a copy of our free book, the Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia, and contact an injured workers’ lawyer at the Injured Workers Law Firm for a no-cost consultation – 1-877-755-7744.


About the Author:

The Injured Workers Law Firm is a Richmond, Virginia based firm solely focused on serving clients with workers' compensation claims in Virginia. If you have questions about your benefits or if you would like more information on the Virginia Workers’ Compensation system, order our book, “The Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia” , or call our office today (804) 755-7755.