- There are an estimated 12,000 spinal cord injuries every year in the United States alone.
- More than a quarter of a million Americans are currently living with spinal cord injuries.
- The cost of managing the care of spinal cord injury patients is $3 billion each year.
- The largest proportion of spinal cord injuries (36.5 percent) occurs during car accidents; more than a quarter are the result of falls; and the rest are due to acts of violence (primarily gunshot wounds), sporting accidents, and other less common causes.
- The average age at injury has risen and is now 42.6 years.
- 80 percent of spinal cord injury patients are men.
If you or a loved one is dealing with any of the complications related to a spinal cord injury at work or if you would like more information on the Virginia workers’ compensation system, order my book, “The Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia,”, or call our office today (804) 755-7755.
About the Author: Michele Lewane
The Injured Workers Law Firm is a Richmond, Virginia based firm solely focused on serving clients with workers' compensation claims in Virginia. If you have questions about your benefits or if you would like more information on the Virginia workers’ compensation system, order our book, “The Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia” , or call our office today (804) 755-7755.