After representing many workers who have been the victim of a traumatic brain injury, it is clear that my clients who put all their energy into healing and have a solid family support system seem to make the best and fastest recovery. Recovery can take a very long time; sometimes months and sometimes even years. So, doing everything within your power to speed this process along is HUGE. I have taken some tips for injured workers from http://www.caregiver.org/, as well as adding some myself. Doing all the little things you can do in your personal life to speed your recovery along can make a big difference in you recovery process and your all-around well being.
- Positive attitude – Approaching any obstacle is made easier with a “YES I CAN” mentality.
- Rest – We all need it! Brains that are healing from trauma especially need it!
- Avoid danger – Avoid doing anything that could cause another blow or jolt to the head.
- Talk to your doctor – Ask the doctor when it’s safe to drive a car, ride a bike, play sports, or use heavy equipment, because reaction time may be slower after a brain injury.
- Setting goals – Setting realistic goals and writing them down can make it easier to stay focused.
- Medication – Take prescription medication according to the doctor’s instructions.
- Journaling – Write things down to help with memory problems.
- Zero substances – Do not drink alcohol or use street drugs (they damage the brain further!!!).
- Listen to your doctor – Ask the doctor to recommend rehabilitation services that might help recovery, and follow those recommendations.
- Talking – Sometimes just having someone to listen can help lighten the load a little. Don’t’ keep it all bottled up; talking with family and close friends can be invaluable when people are struggling
If you or someone in your family is dealing with a traumatic brain injury as the result of a work injury or if you would like more information on the Virginia workers’ compensation system, order my book, “The Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia,” or call our office today (804) 755-7755.
About the Author: Michele Lewane
The Injured Workers Law Firm is a Richmond, Virginia based firm solely focused on serving clients with workers' compensation claims in Virginia. If you have questions about your benefits or if you would like more information on the Virginia workers’ compensation system, order our book, “The Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia” , or call our office today (804) 755-7755.