If you have recently suffered an injury to your ulnar nerve, you probably have a lot of questions about what the doctor can do to ease your pain and help you recover. The information below is a good place to start learning about the options doctors use to treat these injuries. Remember, this is not medical advice. You should always consult your doctor before starting any course of treatment.
Diagnosis of ulnar nerve entrapment:
Proper diagnosis of ulnar nerve entrapment requires the expert attention of an experienced physician who will determine if the symptom is primary — meaning a stand-alone condition — or, if it is secondary, arising out of a more complicated disease like diabetes. Diagnosis will include:
- A comprehensive clinical exam. Your doctor will ask you to perform certain tasks with your hands so he or she can determine if ulnar nerve entrapment is a possible diagnosis for your pain.
- Complete medical history
- Electrodiagnostic studies to study nerve conduction within your hands and wrists
Treatment for ulnar nerve entrapment:
- Occupational therapy to strengthen the ligaments and tendons in the hands and elbows
- The daily use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and other non-prescription pain relievers to help reduce pain and inflammation
- Wearing splints to help immobilize the elbow
- Your doctor may recommend surgery
If you have suffered an ulnar nerve injury at work or if you would like more information on the Virginia Workers’ Compensation system, order my book, “The Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia,” or call our office today (804) 755-7755.
About the Author: Michele Lewane
The Injured Workers Law Firm is a Richmond, Virginia based firm solely focused on serving clients with workers' compensation claims in Virginia. If you have questions about your benefits or if you would like more information on the Virginia workers’ compensation system, order our book, “The Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia” , or call our office today (804) 755-7755.