• Injured at Work? What Now?

    If you have been injured in a workplace accident, here are several important steps you must take to get compensation for your injuries and lost wages.

    Learn More Request Free Consultation
  • Trouble With Your Workers Comp Claim?

    If you have questions about your claim or if your worker's compensation claim has been denied our attorneys can help.

    Learn More Request Free Consultation
  • What's Your Claim Worth?

    Not all work injuries claims are the same, some are worth more than others. We can help get you the most out of your claim.

    Learn More Request Free Consultation
  • Do You Need an Attorney?

    Not sure if you need an attorney? Call us today and speak with an attorney for free. We can help answer your questions and get you on the right track.

    Learn More Request Free Consultation

Should I Use a Specialist in My Workers Compensation Case?

Should I Use a Specialist in My Worker’s Compensation Case?

Video Transcript

People have asked me if they should use their local general practice attorney or a friend of the family who is an attorney for their workers compensation case.

As someone who handles only workers compensation claims, I believe it is extremely important that if you are going to hire an attorney, you hire someone who knows workers compensation inside and out; someone who deals with it constantly.

The workers compensation laws change every July 1st. The laws are like the Tax Code.  They just get bigger and trickier and then, on top of that, you have the case law that changes almost daily and then you have the Commission that creates their own rules on how to file medical records, what type of medical records they want, when to file them, how to organize them etc. just to pursue a claim.

I’ve heard of so many mistakes by attorneys who have started handling a workers comp claim and then realize that they’re in over their head. You want an attorney who deals with the Commission daily, who knows which Deputy Commissioners rule a certain way and who has the experience that would give you the best results.

So how do you find the right attorney?

One way to find a qualified workers’ comp attorney would be to visit a rating sight such as https://www.avvo.com/ and see what other attorneys and clients are saying about the attorney you’re interested in.

You could also get a referral from someone who’s been injured on the job or from another attorney that you do know who might know someone who only practices workers compensation law.

This is one of the topics that I’ve written about in my book, the Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia. You can request this book for free at https://www.injuredworkerslawfirm.com/ultimate-guide-to-workers-compensation-virginia/.


About the Author:

The Injured Workers Law Firm is a Richmond, Virginia based firm solely focused on serving clients with workers' compensation claims in Virginia. If you have questions about your benefits or if you would like more information on the Virginia workers’ compensation system, order our book, “The Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia” , or call our office today (804) 755-7755.