After you’ve been injured in a job-related accident and are collecting long-term disability in Richmond, Virginia, your health care coverage will change. Once you leave your job, you will no longer have health insurance coverage from your employer so you will need to find other convenient and affordable insurance options. If you need help, there is always an attorney on hand to support you at the Injured Workers Law Firm.

Your first option is Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) coverage through your former employer. This will allow you to have the same benefits you had while employed. Not all places of employment offer COBRA and not everyone qualifies for this coverage so do your research and make sure this is the right option for you. This type of coverage can also be expensive, because you have to pay the full premium plus additional fees.

As an alternative, you can seek out free and low-cost medical care through your state’s social services agency. Most states provide Medicaid or other types of free health insurance coverage for people who are unemployed or disabled. You can speak with a state employee to find out whether you qualify. Some agencies can provide you with lists of non-profit organizations that provide low-cost care, doctors who offer payment plans, and other money-saving options.

Your health is important, especially after an illness or injury. Being on disability shouldn’t mean that you have to go without affordable medical care. You can avoid the stress and inconvenience by planning ahead and making informed decisions.

Contacting a Long-Term Disability Attorney in Richmond, Virginia

After a work accident that was caused by your employer or someone else at work, you deserve to be compensated for your missed time and medical bills. The attorneys at the Injured Workers Law Firm are here to help you get the benefits you deserve when you are unable to work because of a work-related injury. Call today for immediate help: 804-755-7755.