I get a lot of calls from injured workers who were injured in _______ (New York, Texas, Vermont – you get the picture) and they have questions because they recently moved to Virginia and want to know what they need to do next and how this affects their claim.  The truth is, it depends on where your claim was filed because workers’ compensation rules are different by state (that’s a whole lot of different sets of rules to be aware of!).

shutterstock_316183925For example, if you were injured in Michigan and your claim was filed in Michigan, Michigan rules still apply, even if you are now living in Virginia and seeing a doctor in Virginia.  In this situation, I say that it is best to contact a workers’ compensation attorney who practices law in the state that your claim was filed (in this example, Michigan) to make sure you are taking the appropriate steps to continue receiving your workers’ compensation benefits.

If you do have a workers’ compensation claim that did not originate in Virginia, my office can still assist you with this.  I have relationships with several skilled workers’ compensation attorneys across the United States who we can help you get in contact with to get your questions answered.  If you need help with an out of state claim, call my office and we can help you locate an attorney who knows the rules for that state.

If you have questions about Virginia benefits or if you would like more information on the Virginia workers’ compensation system, order my book, “The Ultimate Guide to Workers’ Compensation in Virginia”, or call our office today (804) 755-7755.